Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Help me, Please

This past 18 months has been a long hard climb for us as an autism family. Filled with joy, hope, despair, frustration and determination.

Today for the first time in many many long months, my son said to his teacher, "Help me please"  as he stood in front of a closed door.

I was very taken back by that comment since he has not spoken in this last year and  a half and I sensed in a truly  heartfelt way that he was asking her more than help with the door. His doors have been closed for a long time, and this new teacher has opened his eyes and his heart to new possibilities.

I think "help me" is the anthem for the majority of teens with autism .. I wondered how many people are listening to this world of quiet thoughtful  autism whispers.

cate

No comments:

Post a Comment